If you don’t know me by now, you should know that I’m all about the compound movements when it comes to exercising. I’m all about efficiency!
Also, exercises that require no equipment and can be done anytime, anywhere are always the best!
But one of the best exercises for women, in my opinion, are push ups. Regularly doing push ups will strengthen your chest…giving your chest a “lift”. In addition, it will shape your arms – shoulders and triceps, while toning and tightening your core and glutes! So why wouldn’t you incorporate push ups into your fitness routine?
What Muscles Do Push Up Work?
Did you know that push ups are a full body workout? It uses many muscles in the body. Targeting specific upper body muscles as well as other muscles.
The main muscles targeted are:
In addition to targeting the above specific muscles. It also engages stabilizer muscles. These include the abs, obliques and quads.
Tips For Perfect Push Up Form
We all know what a push up looks like, but here are some tips for doing it correctly.
- Keep head/neck neutral – You head should be in line with your torso.
- Hands directly below shoulders – hands should be placed shoulder width apart
- Hips and torso straight in a lateral line – A lot of times I see butt sticking up or slouching downwards. A trick in keep your hips and torso in line is to tighten your abs and glutes.
- Controlled movements – Don’t just drop down and then try pushing back up. Control your movements going down and coming back up.
- Full range of motion – Make sure your chest touches the floor. Don’t just drop half an inch and push back up.
Push Up Variations
- Basic Standard Push Up – With hands slightly outside shoulder width and in a plank position, bend at elbows and lower until chest touches the floor. Ensure that elbows are tucked and stays close to the body. Push back to start position, keeping core and glutes tight at all times.
- Basic Standard Knee Push Up – Same instructions as basic standard push up except your knees are bent and resting on the floor.
- Wide Grip Push Up – Same instructions as basic standard push up except hands are wider. This will be more difficult than the basic standard push up.
- Diamond Push Up – This push up targets the triceps more than the basic standard push up. Here your index fingers and thumbs form a diamond.
- Front Clap Push Up – This starts as a basic standard push, but you forcefully push your upper body off the floor so that you clap your hands in front of your body. Then back to the push up position.
Ready For A Push Up Challenge?
Let me know how you do! 🙂
For additional fitness challenges and to assist with your fitness goals, check out Ultimate Bundles. What exactly is Ultimate Bundles? Well, for a limited time, they release ebooks for an insane price! Starting August 23, 2017 until August 28, 2017 (only for 6 days), the Freedom Fitness Bundle will be available for sale at a low price of $47!
When you put together 35+ world-class fitness instructors + 50 of their most essential and invaluable training resources, you get the Freedom Fitness Bundle. Literally the biggest and best fitness collaboration to date!
Chances are, you’ve spent more than that on individual fitness programs, but inside these 50 expert trainings, you’ll find:
- Workout plans that fit your lifestyle and fitness goals
- Instructional videos and photo tutorials to make even new or complex exercises simple and safe
- Bodyweight workouts that don’t require equipment, for days when you can’t get to the gym (or don’t want to!)
- Express workouts to protect your progress on days when you’re short on time
- Energizing cardio routines to help you burn calories and fat, and strengthen your heart
- Weight loss strategies to help you shed unwanted pounds and target trouble areas
- Flexibility and rehab training to help prevent injuries or speed recovery
- Resources specifically geared to your unique fitness needs and goals as a woman or man
- Plus, so much more!
The combined value of all the trainings in the bundle is over $1,850, but for the starting August 23 and for only 6 days, you can get EVERYTHING for 97% off!
And here’s the crazy promise: If you can’t find the right plan inside this bundle, or mix and match something perfect from the dozens of trainings, Ultimate Bundles will give you ALL your money back. You have 30 days to test out $1,850 of training with absolutely NO risk of losing your $47.
There’s just one catch… a deal this good can’t last forever. All our fitness experts agreed the bundle would be available for 6 days only, and then it will disappear.
If you’d like to learn more about the specific resources it includes (I don’t think you’ll be disappointed!) then by all means, go here and check it out in detail.
Don’t forget — the bundle goes off sale on Monday, August 28th, 2017 at 11:59 p.m. EST. And if you’re still on the fence, there’s really no risk in getting it anyways because they’ve got a full 30-day happiness guarantee.