First of all, congratulations on starting your research into how to make a passive income and make a living blogging.
“Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning.” —Albert Einstein
Affiliate Marketing & Blogging As A Business
Just like you, I started my blog to share my knowledge and experiences in the hopes of inspiring others. It takes a lot of work to be able to reach others. There’s no way for readers to find you unless you actually market, market, market.
I’ve spent many, many days, evenings, weekends reading and researching on the many different aspects of blogging, acquiring traffic and monetizing your blog.
Here I will list what I believe has helped my blog grow. Yes, my blog is fairly new at just over 3 months old and yes, I do still have a ways to go in order for me to reach my goal. This goal is to be able to work full-time as a blogger. However, I believe that what I’ve learned is fresh in my mind and so I’d like to share it with you.
This post contains affiliate links. Please see my Disclosure for additional info.
How Does Blogging Make Money?
There are many different ways to make money blogging. The best income potential are affiliate marketing, ebooks, courses, and tutorials.
What Is Affiliate Marketing
An affiliate marketer will earn a commission for promoting someone else’s product. For example, there are some links here that I will be including, if you click those links you will be directed to another website. If you choose to purchase something from that website, I will get a commission with no cost to you at all. However, for me, I hope that the information here is of use to you first and foremost. If you decide that it is, then I may be rewarded for my work in providing it to you.
Best Affiliate Marketers
First, you need to apply to be an affiliate marketer as a publisher. Here are my top picks which offers some of the best programs and works with most big stores/companies.
- Awin – This is one of the biggest global affiliate networks. Think of a company that you would like to work with and they’re most likely listed here. Read all about what they’re about here.
- FlexOffers – Another worldwide affiliate network with advertisers from all over.
- Shareasale – You may have heard about this program. It actually was the first affiliate marketer I signed up with and it’s been quite a success for me!
- Ultimate Bundles – If you’re looking for actual products to work with directly, Ultimate Bundles sell ebooks in bundles at 95% savings for a limited time. As an affiliate you get 40% commission on every sale you refer.
- Fruitful Blogger – This affiliate program sells course/ebooks for bloggers. Like the Ultimate Bundles, you will receive 40% of all completed sales. I actually completed the Affiliate Acceleration Course and had great success with it! Immediately after completing the course and implementing what I learned, I made my first sale and the selling continued the next day as well! If you really want to learn all about affiliate marketing and you must check out the course.
- SendOwl – If you’d like to be an affiliate marketer and you can easily set this up with SendOwl.
- Hostgator / Blue Host – If your website is being hosted, then you can become an affiliate with that company.
Remember, you can sign up for any or all of these free of charge!
Ways to Make Money With Your Website
Once you’ve been approved for any of these affiliate marketing programs, you can search the many different companies (ie. Nike, Macy’s, Nordstrom, Vega, etc. — companies from any niche you can think of). When you find a company you’d like to work with, you can apply (normally just a quick click of a button) and within a few days you’ll know whether you’re approved. You will then be given access to links and banners. You can start marketing and earning $$ by writing blog posts with reviews or recommendations from you own experiences.
Finally, once you’ve published a post, you’ll need to drive traffic to that post. From here, it’s all about market, marketing and more marketing! Read here for how I increased my blog traffic by 500%!
Oh! By the way, when you’re approved for one of the above affiliate programs, you can also start marketing those programs and receive a commission for your referral! 🙂 For example, if approved for Awin, you can refer others to Awin right away! Therefore, I suggest you don’t hesitate to signup. It’s all free to signup, so why wouldn’t you??? It’s a win-win in my opinion.
Here’s a pro tip – make sure you create a spreadsheet (in excel) with the companies that you’re approved for so that you can easily go back and retrieve the correct links. It can get overwhelming at first, but if you prepare your spreadsheet or ensure you’re recording your approvals, it’ll be easier to access whenever needed.
Ads On Your Website
Another great way to market your affiliates is by placing banners in selective spots on your website. From my experience, the best places for these banners are in your header beside your logo or in your right sidebar. One of the great things is that these banners have been created by marketing professionals!
Are You Ready?
Hope this helps explain what affiliate marketing is and how to get started with it. It’s minimal work becoming a publisher and the potential is great! I suggest that you think about which ones you would like to work with and start making income right away!